The Guinness in these cupcakes provides a deliciously deep chocolaty accompaniment to the sweetness of the pecan-coconut frosting. In my family we love the frosting so much I decided to use it as a filling too, but that’s optional. You’ll just have extra frosting left over. The cupcakes can be made the day ahead if you need to, but frosting should be made with a few hours of serving. Store them in an airtight container.
For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups Guinness
1 1/2 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups sugar
3/4 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoons salt
3 large eggs
1 cups sour cream
1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
1 1/4 cup white sugar
4 egg yolks, beaten
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2- 2 cups flaked coconut (add as much as you prefer)
Yields 26 cupcakes
Cake recipe adapted from Epicurious
1. Preheat oven to 350. Put liners in cupcake tin.
2. In a large heavy saucepan bring butter and Guinness to a simmer then whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Take it off heat and let it cool.
3. Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
4. With an electric mixer beat the eggs and sour cream in a separate large bowl. Slowly add Guinness mixture and beat until combined.
5. Add flour mixture and beat just until combined. Fold batter to combine completely. Fill liners 3/4 full and bake 20-25 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes in tin then transfer to wire rack until completely cool.
6. Using a small sharp knife cut a cone shape out of the center of the cupcakes. Fill with the frosting and put more frosting on top. Best served while frosting is warm.
In a large saucepan combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly (do not leave unattended!) until the mixture has thickened. This may take up to 20 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil. It will thicken before you know it. Once it has thickened remove it from the heat and add the pecans and coconut. Let it sit until warm.