These chocolate cupcakes are outrageously easy to make and are simply divine. The chocolate flavor is just rich and chocolaty enough but the texture isn’t too dense like some chocolate cupcakes can be. For extra chocolate indulgence I frosted it with chocolate buttercream. The fluffiness of the frosting is a great match with the cake.
For the cupcakes
8 tbs unsalted butter
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate (I used chocolate chips)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 cup sour cream
For the frosting
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp table salt
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup melted semi-sweet chocolate, cooled
Yields 12 standard sized cupcakes exactly. Cupcake and modified frosting from America’s Test Kitchen.
For the cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line cupcake tin with liners. Melt the butter, cocoa, and chocolate. I use the microwave at 20 second intervals, stirring a bit after each. You can use a double broiler if you want. Set the mixture aside to cool slightly.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder and soda in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt until well combined. Add the chocolate mixture and whisk thoroughly.
4. Add half the flour mixture and whisk until combined, then add sour cream and whisk. Add rest of flour and whisk until everything is incorporated. Scoop batter into liners and bake 17-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean, rotating halfway during bake time.
5. Let cool 10 minutes and finish cooling on a wire rack. Let cupcakes cool completely until frosting! The frosting is so delicate it will melt if the cupcakes are warm.
For the frosting:
1. Whip the butter and salt for 20 seconds (using hand held beaters or Kitchen-Aid with whisk attachment), then add powdered sugar in 3 intervals. Add the vanilla and whip.
2. Add the cooled chocolate and whip for 20-30 seconds until fluffy. Spread with a knife or pipe.