Summer is all about fresh ingredients. This trifle is a breeze to make and showcases the tart fruitiness of raspberries. An easy, make-ahead, light dessert is the perfect thing for a BBQ or any summer event.
3 cups fresh raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
Juice of one lemon
1 1/2 pints heavy cream
8 oz Mascarpone cheese (room temperature)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 packages of lady fingers (most likely found in the frozen dessert section of your grocery store)
1/2 cup amaretto (optional)
Extra powdered sugar to sift
1. Mix the raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a bowl. Mash up half of the berries. Let the mixture sit for at least 30 minutes.
2. Whip the heavy cream until very stiff peaks form. Fold half of the whipping cream into the Mascarpone cheese with powdered sugar. Make sure it is completely incorporated.
3. Spoon out about 1/2 cup of the raspberry juices from the mixture you made earlier. Mix with amaretto (or leave raspberry juice plain, but try to get about 3/4 cup of it).
4. To assemble, lay a single layer of lady fingers on the bottom of a 9×13 pan, trimming pieces as necessary to get a tight fit. Brush or spoon the raspberry-amaretto mixture (or plain juice) onto the lady fingers. Spread 1/2 of the Mascarpone mixture over the lady fingers, followed by 1/2 of the raspberries. Repeat the process until you run out of ingredients (I only get 2 layers).
5. Use the remaining whipping cream to top the trifle. Dust a relatively thick layer of powdered sugar on the top. Cover and chill overnight.