When my cousin wanted chocolate cupcakes for his 9th birthday, I knew I had to make the best chocolate cupcakes ever. These chocolate cupcakes combine my favorite chocolate buttercream recipe with my new favorite, ultra simple chocolate cake recipe. I wanted to really make them over-the-top chocolaty so I filled them with chocolate pudding. He told me, “This is the best cupcake I’ve had in my life!” and I knew I did a job well done.
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp table salt
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup melted semi-sweet chocolate, cooled
1 small box prepared chocolate fudge pudding (I used instant)
Yields 24 cupcakes
for the cake:
1. Line tin with paper liners. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Sift the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda, and salt in a bowl. It is important you sift it so the lumps in the flour and cocoa are dispersed.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Whisk it into the dry mixture vigorously until thoroughly combined.
4. Whisk in the boiling water.
5. If you have a large cup with a spout, pour the batter into that to make filling the liners easier. Fill them about 2/3 full.
6. Bake for 22-24 minutes, cool completely. Cut out a cone of cake from each cupcake, fill with pudding. Frost. Keep refrigerated until close to serving time. Best on second day.
For the frosting:
1. Whip the butter and salt for 20 seconds (using hand held beaters or Kitchen-Aid with whisk attachment), then add powdered sugar in 3 intervals. Add the vanilla and whip.
2. Add the cooled chocolate and whip for 20-30 seconds until fluffy. Spread with a knife or pipe.