This Nutella lava cake has the perfect balance of dark chocolate and sweetness. The Nutella serves as a smooth, sweet base, then the addition of bittersweet chocolate adds a dark edge that makes this cake luxurious. The recipe is fast and easy to make…maybe a little too easy, I eat it at least twice a week!
1/3 cup Nutella
1 oz bittersweet chocolate (1 wrapped bakers square) chopped
1/4 cup butter (half a stick)
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 tbs sugar
1 tbs flour
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour two ramekins.
2. Place Nutella, butter, and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Melt at 15 second intervals, stirring the mixture each time. Microwave only until melted. Set aside.
3. Place the egg, egg yolk, and sugar in a bowl. With electric beaters, beat until very light yellow and thick. This step is vital in achieving a nice cake vs. lava ratio.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture slowly, beating with mixers until combined. Add 1 tbs flour and mix just until combined.
5. Pour into ramekins. Bake for about 10-15 minutes (this can really vary, so check periodically) until the edges have risen but the center is still jiggly. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve warm. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.