Gramawama grew a variety of squashes this year, one of them being butternut squash. Right away I knew I wanted to make an easy soup. This smooth butternut squash soup is tangy, hearty, and so simple to make. I use my crockpot so it is ready for the last steps when I get home at the end of the day. I use my stick blender, but you can do this in batches in a food processor or regular blender. If you don’t have a crockpot, you’ll just need to simmer the mixture together until everything is mushy.
1 butternut squash
1 yellow onion
2 cans vegetable broth
1 cup sour cream (you can use light sour cream to reduce calories)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2. Cut the squash into similar size chunks. Doesn’t have to be pretty or perfect, it will all be blended later. Place chunks in crock pot.
3. Rough chop the onion and add it to pot.
4. Add the broth, salt, and pepper. Cook on low for 6 hours.
5. When everything is nice and mushy, blend until smooth. Add the sour cream. It will look curdled, but blend it again and it will all smooth out.
6. Put a few grinds of fresh nutmeg in. Season with more salt and pepper to taste if needed. Serve hot or chilled.