Mint and chocolate are a wonderful match for any occasion. These cupcakes are the easiest to make, ultra moist, and have the perfect amount of mint to really accent the chocolate. I recommend using Hershey special dark cocoa powder for an extra chocolaty cake. Try grating a bit of chocolate on the top of the cupcakes for an elegant garnish.
For the cake
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon mint extract
1/2 cup boiling water
For the frosting
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp table salt
3/4 tsp mint extract
1/2 cup melted semi-sweet chocolate, cooled
Yields 12 cupcakes exactly with lots of frosting
Directions for the cake:
1. Line tin with paper liners. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Sift the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda, and salt in a bowl. It is important you sift it so the lumps in the flour and cocoa are dispersed.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, oil, mint extract. Whisk it into the dry mixture vigorously until thoroughly combined.
4. Whisk in the boiling water.
5. If you have a large cup with a spout, pour the batter into that to make filling the liners easier. Fill them about 2/3 full.
6. Bake for about 22 minutes (toothpick should just barely come out clean), cool completely.
For the frosting:
1. Whip the butter and salt for 20 seconds (using hand held beaters or Kitchen-Aid with whisk attachment), then add powdered sugar in 3 intervals. Add the mint extract and whip.
2. Add the cooled chocolate and whip for 20-30 seconds until fluffy. Spread with a knife or pipe.