Whole wheat and flax seeds gives these chocolate chip cookies a deeper, earthier flavor than regular cookies. The flax seeds give a pleasant little crunch and accompany the chocolate chips perfectly.
The health benefits of flax seeds are best achieved when the seeds are ground, so their use in these cookies is mostly for texture.
1/2 cup (1 stick) room temperature butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 room temperature eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Yields about 26 cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk the flour, flax, baking powder and soda, and salt in a bowl.
3. Cream the butter and sugars until fluffy on medium speed. Add vanilla and eggs, beat thoroughly.
4. Add the flour mixture in two or three parts and beat until blended. Add the chocolate chips.
5. With a scoop or spoon (I use a 1 1/2 tbs cookie scoop) scoop your dough into heaping 1tbs balls and place with about 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes (for crisper cookies). Let cool five minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack. Best when warm.