Flank steak is an easy to cook, delicious meat—if you’re willing to be patient. You need to let the marinade really soak into it before cooking. This marinade has a perfect combination of sweet and tart with a bit of a Tex-Mex flair. It’s perfect to eat alone or on top of tacos.
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 – 2 lb flank steak
1. Vigorously whisk the first 8 ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Place the flank steak in a shallow container. Use a fork to poke holes all over the steak.
3. Pour the marinade over and give it a quick massage into the meat before sealing the container (or covering with wrap) and placing in the fridge to marinade for at least four hours, or overnight.
4. Before grilling, remove the steak from the fridge and let come to room temperature. Remove from marinade and use paper towels to completely remove marinade, making the steak dry. This will help make a tasty, crispy exterior on the steak.
5. Grill using your preferred method. Flank steak is best when medium to medium-rare. Be sure to let it rest at least five minutes under tinfoil before slicing against the grain of the meat.
I made some quick tacos with my flank steak using grilled corn tortillas, fresh guacamole, and a bean salad made of black beans, cilantro, and lime.