The currants in these gluten free chocolate chip cookies adds a complex, unexpected flavor. The addition of an egg yolk brings a wonderful soft chewiness to the cookies as well. They keep very well for days in an airtight container. Much like cake, we think they are even better on the second day!
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups gluten free flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup gluten free oats
3/4 cup currants
1. In a medium bowl, sift together the gluten free flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
2. Melt the butter and pour into mixer bowl. Add both of the sugars to the bowl with the butter, and using paddle attachment, cream together on medium speed for approximately 1 minute. Add the whole egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
3. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Add the oats, chocolate chips, and currants and stir to combine.
4. Chill the dough in refrigerator until firm, approximately 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Shape dough into 1 ½ tbsp. sized balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 13-14 minutes rotating the cookie sheets halfway through cooktime. After removing from oven cool cookies on wire rack.