When I think of tomato soup I usually think of Campbell’s condensed tomato soup. While that is fine, sometimes I want something a little more refined. This crockpot tomato soup is extremely easy and simple, but the flavor is a million times better than what you’d get in a can (even though you use canned tomatoes to make it!). The crushed red pepper gives it a tiny beat of heat, and the addition of parmesan and heavy cream gives it a silky, luxurious texture and flavor. It is the perfect soup to serve with a tasty toasted cheese sandwich or a crusty piece of bread on the side!
4 cups chicken stock
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes with juices
1 6 oz can tomato paste
3 carrots, diced
2 sweet onions (such as Walla Walla) diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ cup chopped basil
½ cup parmesan
½ cup heavy cream
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1. Add the stock, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste to a crock pot. Stir until combined.
2. Sautee the carrots and onions in olive oil until tender. Add the garlic and sautee just until the garlic begins to cook. Be careful not to burn. Add to the crock pot.
3. Cook on low for 4 hours. Add the basil, salt and pepper to taste, and crushed red pepper, and use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the crock pot. If you don’t have a crock pot, you’ll have to do this in batches in a blender. Puree until entirely smooth. Cook for 1 more hour.
4. Before serving, add the parmesan and heavy cream. Add more seasoning if needed.
5. Garnish with a drizzle of oil, cream, and parmesan if desired.